Do you know how to be a wife, homemaker, housekeeper, cook, laundress, seamstress (nurse, home manager, gardener . . .)? Are your heart and mind in tune and ready? Are you “a virtuous woman” whose price is “far above rubies” (Pro. 31:10)?
Resources: Beautiful in God’s Eyes by Elizabeth George (buy here)
Characteristics of a Good Wife
Courteous ~ “Gracious and considerate toward others.”
Gentle ~ Considerate, mild. “Not harsh, severe, or violent.”
Patient ~ “Enduring affliction with calmness.” Tolerant, understanding, persevering, steadfast.
Pure ~ Clean; not tainted.
Thoughtful ~ “Showing regard for other; considerate.”
Trustworthy ~ Deserving of trust, or dependable. “The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her” ~ Proverbs 31:11.
Acquiring the Characteristics of a Good Wife
- Genuinely desire the characteristics.
- Choose to be this kind of woman. Choose to be courteous. Choose to be pure. Choose to be trustworthy. Simply choosing doesn’t make it happen, but if you don’t choose it won’t happen.
- Remove things from your life that reinforce bad characteristics (books, movies, television . . . people?).
- Include things in your life that reinforce these good characteristics (good books, good movies, good people, etc.).
- Read the Bible: “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path” ~ Psalm 119:105
- By beholding Christ, we are changed. “But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord” ~ 2 Corinthians 3:18.
This is a great resource. Although not specifically for unmarried women, it is a good blog for wives-to-be to visit!