Time for some homework! What are the qualities of a Christ-like husband? Do you have these qualities? Have your prayerfully read 1 Peter 3:7 and Ephesians 5:15-33 lately?
Wives are supposed to love and respect their husbands. While they are supposed to love and respect their husbands even if their husbands don't deserve that, it isn't God's design that wives should have to do it that way. You want to be a great husband, I'm sure. So are you lovable? And respectable? All the time? When you wake up in the morning? When you're stuck in traffic? When you're hungry? Lovable husbands get more love from their wives!
Characteristics of a Good Husband
Courteous ~ "Gracious and considerate toward others."
Honest ~ "Marked by truthfulness and integrity." "Not deceptive or fraudulent." Frank, straightforward, upright, genuine, sincere.
Kind ~ "Showing sympathy, concern, or understanding."
Patient ~ "Enduring affliction with calmness." Tolerant, understanding, persevering, steadfast.
Pure ~ Clean; not tainted.
Temperate ~ "Exercising moderation and self-restraint." Moderate, not extreme, balanced.
Thoughtful ~ "Showing regard for others; considerate."
Trustworthy ~ Deserving of trust, or dependable.
How to Acquire the Characteristics of a Good Husband
- Genuinely desire these characteristics.
- Choose to be this kind of husband. Choose to be kind. Choose to be pure. Choose to be patient. Simply choosing doesn't make it happen, but if you don't choose it won't happen.
- Remove things from your life that reinforce bad characteristics (books, movies, television . . . people?).
- Include things in your life that reinforce these good characteristics (good books, good movies, good people, etc.).
- Read the Bible: "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path" ~ Psalm 119:105
- By beholding Christ, we are changed. "But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord" ~ 2 Corinthians 3:18.
whatsoever things are true,
whatsoever things are honest,
whatsoever things are just,
whatsoever things are pure,
whatsoever things are lovely,
whatsoever things are of good report;
if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise,
think on these things"
~ Philippians 4:8.