Setting up housekeeping for the first time requires stuff, which I refer to as “goods” or “household goods.”
Each of the Setting up Housekeeping categories have their own associated goods, but here is where they all come together. This is where you focus on managing your goods and getting what you need to set up housekeeping!
Household Goods Things to Consider
- What do you need?
- What do you need versus want?
- What do you already have?
- Do you have duplicates you can get rid of?
- Do you need to update anything (get something better or more suitable)?
- What kind of lifestyle do you want to live and how will that affect your household goods?
- What are your values as they relate to home, stuff, buying, money, organization, simplicity, health and safety, quality, DIYing, etc.?
- What is your budget?
- How will you get your goods (buy, make, receive as gifts?)
- Where will you get your goods?
- Will you register for gifts?
Types of Goods to Consider
- Kitchen and dining goods
- Furniture: bedroom, living room, kitchen
- Storage and organization
- Home decor
- Linens and bedding
- Cleaning supplies and tools
- Electronics, computers, and other devices
- Car care
- Yard and garden
- Home maintenance and repair
- Sewing and craft tools, supplies
- Camping/picnicking/outdoor gear
- Luggage and travel goods
- Books and media
- Food and household supplies
- Home office
Make a list and check it twice! Er, well, several lists!