“And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it” ~Genesis 2:15.
Gardening was the first occupation! It’s good for the body, good for the mind, and good for the heart, besides being pleasant to the taste and pleasant to the eyes. Every home needs at least a little bit of it!
Things to Consider
From houseplants to homesteading, and everything in between — whatever has to do with growing things and you consider essential to home life — that is what this category is about!
What role will gardening play in your lives? It is an essential part of homemaking or is it an optional add-on?
How much gardening will be a part of your lives?
- Basic yard care, a few flower beds and houseplants?
- A large yard with trees, shrubs, and flowers, and a vegetables garden?
- Will you grow much of your own food and preserve it?
- Or have a small farm?
When do you intend to garden?
Is it something you’d like to get into someday or is it as important and fundamental as having a kitchen or a bed to sleep in?
What, specifically will gardening involve?
- Flowers (annuals, perennials)
- Flowers for cutting
- Ornamental trees and shrubs
- Fruit trees, bushes, vines, etc.
- Starting seeds
- Saving seeds
- Preserving the harvest
- The knowledge and skills you have
- Tools and equipment
- Planning and organization
- Books and other resources
- Seeds, plants, cuttings